The Associate of Applied Science degree in Paralegal Studies is a completely online degree program that prepares students with the necessary philosophical foundation and methodology of legal practice so they can better understand the principles of law and policy that affect government, business, and nonprofit organizations. The foundational skills learned in this program will provide a background for understanding and navigating the court system, business regulations, civil matters, and the justice system. Graduates in this degree will be prepared to pursue careers as legal assistants and paralegals to perform tasks in legal, corporate, non-profit, and/or government organizations.
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Title Examiners and Abstractors
- Legal Support Workers, including Legal Secretaries or Assistants
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Understand the legal process and the nature of law practice, emphasizing the role of the paralegal (functions and tasks) in the delivery of legal services.
- Understand the evolving role of the paralegal and other non-lawyers in the delivery of legal services.
- Learn and apply the legal and ethical principles that guide paralegal conduct.
- Identify the legal connections between court cases, statutes, and other regulations.
- Conduct legal research and present findings on various legal issues.
Obtaining the Degree
To earn the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including General Education and Major Requirements.