The Education Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree is designed to help any student easily transfer their associate degree credits from Penn Highlands to a bachelor's level, non-PA State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) institution for elementary or secondary education. This program provides students with the knowledge to apply general education theory and practice to create effective learning environments and interactions for students of all ages.
If you are seeking an elementary degree from a PASSHE school, please check out our Early Childhood Education program.
Graduates of this program will be prepared for transfer to a bachelor's degree granting college or university offering an education degree; however, the associate degree could be utilized right after graduation in the field of:
- Child Care Worker
- Preschool Teacher
- Therapeutic Support Staff
- Teacher's Assistant
- Childcare Director
- Child and Family Social Worker
- Social and Human Services Assistant
Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate sound educational principles in regard to the learning behavior of children and adolescents based on educational theory and psychology.
- Demonstrate the integration of diverse educational principals in curriculum.
- Apply sound educational principles to classroom practice.
- Demonstrate professional educational communication skills through written, oral, and electronic methods.
Students should consider these factors before enrolling into this program:
- This degree program requires that all students obtain a current Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (Act 34), Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151), and Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) (ACT 114). Students are REQUIRED to have these clearances submitted to the Registrar's Office by the final day of their first semester. If students fail to have clearances submitted by that time, they will be removed from the program.
- Student must have completed ALL developmental work prior to being accepted into Education Associate of Arts Degree or have be placed into college level course work.
- Once admitted, students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Students who fall below a 3.0 GPA will be notified by e-mail that their major has automatically been changed to Liberal Arts & Sciences A.A. If a student wishes to change to another degree or certificate, they must notify their advisor and complete the appropriate paperwork.
- Students must earn a grade of C or higher in all required major courses in order to earn the degree.
Obtaining the Degree
Students must be able to meet all of the following requirements in order to graduate from this program:
- Matriculate into the program.
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. Students who fall below a 3.0 will be notified by email that their major has automatically been changed to the Liberal Arts & Sciences A.A. degree program. If students wish to change to another degree or certificate program, they must notify their advisors and complete the appropriate paperwork.
- Earn a grade of "C" or higher in all required courses.
- Satisfactorily complete all degree requirements, including General Education and Major Requirements of the degree.
General Education Requirements
Students are encouraged to work with their Faculty Advisor to determine which pathway of education their career goal will be focused on to then choose the correct electives for that goal.