Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student Complaint form found at www.education.state.pa.us.
In accordance with this legislation, Pennsylvania Highlands offers its veteran students the opportunity to register before priority registration opens. Veteran students will receive an emailed notification each semester which will provide the early registration date, times and instructions. In order to register Veteran students must:
- Identify himself or herself as a veteran student per the definition noted below.
- Meet with his or her academic advisor to gain clearance for registration.
- Complete a Registration Form noting the selected courses for the appropriate semester.
- Submit the completed Registration Form to the Registrar's Office on the day of, or prior to, the early registration period. Forms can be submitted by fax, scanned email, postal service, or dropped off at the Registrar's Office at the Richland Campus.
For assistance or for more information, please contact the Registrar's Office directly at 814.262.6439.
The College defines a "veteran student" as an individual who:
- has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard, and was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable;
- has been admitted to a public institution of higher education in Pennsylvania; and
- resides in Pennsylvania while enrolled in the public institution of higher education.
Students who are veteran students and do not already have their military status coded in the system will need to provide a DD214 or other appropriate documentation to the Registrar's Office to have their military status updated. Currently serving members will need to submit a copy of active duty orders.